Who We Are
Winner of 7 Canadian Cannabis Awards – Including Best Licensed Producer 2018!
This quite possibly is the best company to work for in the world!
CannTrust – a front-runner in the cannabis industry, is a federally regulated licensed producer, publicly traded, and a proudly Canadian company. CannTrust is leading the Canadian and global market in producing standardized cannabis products. CannTrust is ready for Cannabis 2.0, and is currently developing new products that span the medical, recreational, beauty, wellness, and pet markets.
CannTrust is committed to research and innovation, as well as contributing to the growing body of evidence-based research regarding the use and efficacy of cannabis. Its product development teams along with its global pharma partner, are diligently innovating and developing products that will make it easier for patients to use medical cannabis. CannTrust supports ongoing patient education about medical cannabis and has a compassionate use program to support patients with financial needs.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate is an agile, business savvy individual who is committed to getting better everyday. You are a passionate influencer with strong communication skills, who is open to giving and receiving feedback. You are customer-centric with an ability to act as a mentor amongst your peers. Of course, you also deliver consistent results by aligning yourself with CannTrust values.
The Occupational Health and Safety Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive range of employee health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations of CannTrust. These functions include, but may not be limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health and safety, employee and family wellness and the development, implementation and consultation on safety policies. The Occupational Health and Safety Manager oversees all activities of the Occupational Health and Safety department and provides advice to management and employees. This position is responsible for all CannTrust locations.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Participate in the development of strategic health and safety programs that align with business goals and objectives. Fully understands and communicates department objectives based on the business plan, translating them into group and individual goals, with input from team members.
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update CannTrust occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs for all CannTrust locations.
- Develop annual health and safety plans for the company based on a full review of health and safety-related needs (assessment of hazards, analysis of database, audits, changing legislation and best practices) as required by the Ministry of Labour or other applicable legislation.
- Oversees the development, approval and implementation of emergency response plans for the defined customer groups, aligned with the corporate emergency response system.
- Review occupational health and safety legislation, amendments and best practices to optimize occupational health and safety programs.
- Provide all levels of the company with advice related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements and best practices in the field.
- Assist in representing management in matters of health and safety with the government, health and safety associations and other outside agencies and organizations.
- Provide management with reports on WSIB incidents and injuries, lost time injuries, health-related absenteeism and other occupational health and safety information.
- Coordinate and/or provide guidance and direction to occupational health and safety personnel.
- Effectively manage return to work programs, working closely with the employee and their supervisors to ensure the employee’s safety and health.
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and supervisors to return injured employees (as soon as possible) to productive work following an injury.
- Investigate accidents thoroughly and effectively, and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training and following up with supervisors and employees. Provides guidance on hazard identification, incident investigation/ root cause analysis and corrective action responses.
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented.
- Liaise with WSIB on all claims, including managing appeals where appropriate.
- Develop, arrange, and present safety orientation and training for all new employees, existing employees and visitors to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviours within the company.
- Develop a matrix for training requirements, maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development of rollout programs.
- Develop equipment specific training, work instructions, risk assessments, and new equipment procedures.
- Lead an annual health and safety program audit to ensure the effectiveness of occupational health and safety programs.
- Develop and manage internal health and safety audits of the company, including risk assessments, at varying levels, and act as a trainer/advisor to internal auditors.
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments and locations.
- Coordinate health and safety supplies by ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a timely and cost effective manner and used appropriately.
- Monitor, amend and update the organization’s handbook with regards to occupational health and safety updates.
- Support and promote occupational health, wellness and safety department initiatives. Consults with management and executives to create a culture emphasizing the importance of worker health and safety.
- Act as a resource to or serve as a member on the Joint Health and Safety Committee, assisting and providing information and responses on behalf of the company.
- Prepare and manage the occupational health and safety budget.
- Holds others and self accountable to gaps in performance, is a champion of feedback.
- Acts with Integrity: Demonstrates responsible, ethical and honest behavior while consistently leading by example; models the CannTrust values.
- Motivates team to take timely action, resolves customer escalations in a timely manner.
- Monitors progress to departmental goals with company strategy.
- Sets department goals & objectives and supports direct reports with achieving results and development plans.
- Encourages team to be involved in decisions, encourages talent development.
- Executes the performance management cycle activities for the team.
- Strong communication skills, ability to promote learning and development; can have difficult conversations.
- Complies with all company policies.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary school diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience with occupation health and safety management.
- CRSP or CSP designation is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial and municipal regulations/legislation, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and applicable Human Rights.
- Knowledge of WSIB/STD/LTD processes and procedures, including WSIB claims management and related legislation
- Experience with disability management, return to work programs, accident investigation, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis is preferred.
- Proven ability to effectively plan and direct the work of the department and manage its staff and resolve conflict in a positive and constructive manner.
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Available to travel to company locations within the GTA
- Must pass an RCMP security clearance
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment.
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records.
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail.
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to be able to lift up to and including 50lbs, sit and/or stand for extended periods of time and reach with arms/hands. Walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, twisting, lifting, pushing, pulling and moving items is occasionally required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to packaged cannabis products/supplies. The working environment can be noisy at times and temperate, the employee must have knowledge of how to manage their own personal safety under these conditions.
CannTrust is an equal opportunity employer. We thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at CannTrust. Please note, only the candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. CannTrust welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.